RightFax users may occasionally encounter an SSL security error that prevents them from starting services in Enterprise Fax Manager. These errors may originate from the RightFax RPC Server Module, RightFax DocTransport Module or the RightFax Database Module.
If you take a look at the event log, two of the errors you may receive are:
- [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SSL Security error
- [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (SECCreateCredentials()).
You may also see the following error in the Windows Application event log:
- SChannel Error with EventID 10013
Why Does This Error Occur?
SSL security and Event ID 10013 errors in RightFax occur when there is a misconfiguration with the SChannel in the local server. There is usually something within the local security policy that is blocking the secure channel connection from being made.
In many cases, the system has failed to establish a secure connection because the Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) have no been enabled on the fax server.
Solving the Issue
SSL security errors can usually be resolved by enabling FIPS on your RightFax server. To do this, follow these quick and easy steps:
- Open the Control Panel
- Click on Administrative Tools
- Open the Local Security Policy
- Open the Local Policies tree view to see the options there
- Select Security Options
- Within the Security Options, you should see the following policy: System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.
- Open the Properties of this policy by right clicking on it and selecting Properties.
- Choose Enable to activate the policy
- Click Apply and then OK to close out the window
- Close the Local Security Settings window
- Restart RightFax Services
Watch our step-by-step video instructions for solving SSL security issues on RightFax University.
Still Having Issues?
If you are still having issues with your RightFax server, further diagnosis may be required to resolve the issue. Part of our RightFax support packages is real-time diagnoses and support for your RightFax server. To learn more about getting support from The Fax Guys, get in touch with us today.