It’s time for another RightFax support tip! This month, we are covering a very commonly asked question: how to disable the V.34 & Error Correction Mode (ECM) in your RightFax software. This can be accomplished using a Dialogic Brooktrout fax solution. Since ECM is a mandatory feature for V.34 faxing, V.34 and ECM features are usually disabled together.
Why Disable these Features?
Most people who choose to disable V.34 and ECM do so because faxes are being cut off during transmission or partial faxes are being received. Although there are benefits to using V.34 and ECM — V.34 optimizes fax speed and reliability, and ECM automatically detects and corrects errors encountered in the fax transition process — there are some fax machines and systems that encounter problems with V.34 and ECM modes. If you encounter these problems, it may be worth it to temporarily disable V.34 and ECM features.
In Order to Disable V.34 & ECM, Follow These Quick Steps:
- Stop the DocTransport Module in RightFax Enterprise Fax Manager.
- Double-click the service to open the configuration.
- Select your fax board (located on the left).
- Click on configure Brooktrout.
From here, the configuration wizard will open up. Follow these steps:
- Choose “Advanced Mode” and select “Yes”.
- Click the BT call parameters (located on the left).
- Go to show advanced.
The Advanced settings will appear. Follow these steps:
- Select error correction mode and then choose ECM disabled.
- Next, go to the V.34 settings and select disable for all three.
- Make sure you save and apply your settings.
- Close the Brooktrout configuration tool.
- Select “OK” to close the DocTransport Configuration.
- Finally, Restart Doc Transport.
You will now be faxing with V.17 faxing. V.34 and ECM will be disabled. For a more detailed explanation and on this topic, head on over to RightFax University and watch our video tutorial.
Still Having Fax Issues?
If you are still experiencing issues with your fax server, our experts here at The Fax Guys are here to help. We currently support more than 800 RightFax servers nationwide and offer customizable fax support plans that can keep your server healthy and running at maximum efficiency. Get in touch with our team today to learn more.